What is Biomass?
Biomass energy is the term given to the different fuel types that can be burned in a biomass boiler. Most people are familiar with wood burning stoves; a biomass energy boiler is very similar but it can burn a variety of fuels in addition wood. These may include woodchip, pellets, briquettes, crop residue and industrial waste like paper pulp or wood off-cuts.
- Reduced heating bills – frequently 40% against oil or LPG, more if using own wood fuel.
- Guaranteed income through the Renewable Heat Incentive or RHI per kWh of heat generated
- Realistic payback periods. Frequently a cash neutral or cash positive position even within payback period.
- Added value to your business through enhanced green sustainability credentials.
- Making a significant contribution to your corporate sustainability targets.
- Stimulation of the local economy, development of new wood fuel businesses, job creation.
Renewable Energy Source
Biomass energy is generated from organic material, plant or animal waste, which is burned to provide energy, e.g. heat & electricity. Since they come from living sources, these products potentially never run out which makes biomass a renewable energy source.
Better for the environment than fossil fuels
The burning of biomass does release carbon dioxide but captures carbon dioxide for its own growth. Carbon dioxide released by fossil fuel is released into the atmosphere and are harmful to the environment. Many energy sources struggle to control their carbon dioxide emissions as these can cause harm to the ozone layer and increase the effects of greenhouse gases.
Less Dependency on Fossil Fuels
Using biomass as an alternate source of fuel reduces our dependency on fossil fuels which is better for the planet and more cost effective.
Very Easily Available
Biomass is cheap and readily available source of energy. If the trees are replaced, biomass can be a long-term, sustainable energy source.
By burning biomass for energy, we can take waste that is harmful to the environment and turn it into something useful. Around six million tonnes of wood is wasted by being sent to landfill in the UK each year. This wood could be used in biomass boilers to heat homes and factories etc.
Renewable Heat Incentive
By installing a biomass boiler, you can get paid under the Renewable Heat Incentive, which is a Government-backed financial incentive to promote the use of renewable heat for both the domestic and commercial markets.